Marketing and Communications Specialist – Deadline Extended January 2011
Marketing and Communications Specialist
Closing Date: Monday, January 31, 2011
BARKERVILLE HISTORIC TOWN, the largest historic site in Western North America, is seeking a creative, energetic Marketing and Communications Specialist to assist in raising the profile of this important national treasure (www.barkerville.ca).
Barkerville is situated 80 km east of Quesnel, British Columbia in the foothills of the Cariboo Mountains, close to Troll Mountain Ski Resort and Bowron Lake Provincial Park. The nearby community of Wells (8 km from Barkerville), the service and housing centre for the area (www.wellsbc.com), is itself a dynamic cultural community, home of Island Mountain Arts, the acclaimed Toni Onley Artists’ Project, the International Celtic Harp School (www.imarts.com), the dynamic indie music festival ArtsWells (www.artswells.com), the Sunset Theatre (www.sunset-theatre.com) and is close to a wide variety of winter and summer outdoor activities.
The employer, the Barkerville Heritage Trust (BHT), manages Barkerville on behalf of the Provincial Government. This is a full-time, year-round position and is subject to the Collective Agreement between the Barkerville Heritage Trust and the BC Government Employees Union (BCGEU). The successful candidate should be prepared to start the position on April 1, 2011.
Reporting to the Manager of Visitor Experiences and Public Relations, the Marketing and Communications Specialist will be responsible for assisting in the continued development and implementation of Barkerville’s marketing plan, including web-based marketing, building and sustaining brand recognition, and developing strategies to increase site visitation.
This position will be based in Barkerville and the successful candidate will acquire and maintain an intimate knowledge of Barkerville and its programming.
Planning and Marketing
- Work with BHT management team to develop the annual marketing plan and to assist in the management of the annual planning cycle
- Assist in the management of a marketing budget of $100,000.00
- Ensure implementation of marketing plan, including placement of all advertising, marketing materials, and trade show bookings
- Ensure the implementation of a tourism and marketing research program as outlined in the marketing plan
- Organize Barkerville’s participation in off-site events, parades and trade shows
- Work with management team and other site staff to develop a steady output of story ideas and press releases to media
- Ensure adequate coverage of Barkerville special events, including press releases, advertising before major events, follow-up stories and photographic opportunities
- Coordinate web-based, social media, and viral marketing activities including postings on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, blogs, etc.
- Work with the management team, and especially the in-house designer, to ensure all advertising and promotional materials are consistent in messaging and design concepts
- Working with the in-house designer, manage off-site billboards and signage, regularly reviewing locations, and monitoring conditions
- Assist in updating and revising messaging to be included on off-site signage and ensuring consistency with Barkerville’s brand image and other creative material
Community and Regional Liaison
- Proactively develop and manage relations with the Cariboo Chilcotin Coast Tourism Association, Northern BC Tourism Association, the Quesnel Community and Economic Development Corporation, Initiatives Prince George, the District of Wells, local Chambers of Commerce, and other key marketing and economic development organizations
- Represent the site by participating in conferences, meetings, and public speaking engagements
- Develop innovative partnerships and relationships that build new connections and awareness of Barkerville
- Work with Merchants of Barkerville and with the Wells Chamber of Commerce to develop innovative cooperative marketing opportunities
- Work with on-site operators, operators in Wells, Bowron Lakes and Quesnel as well as receptive tour operators to develop packages which include Barkerville
- An undergraduate or graduate degree in marketing, communications, or related field of study
- Minimum 3 to 5 years’ experience in tourism or heritage marketing
- In-depth working knowledge of the key marketing organizations relevant to Barkerville, including DMOs, Chambers of Commerce, and Tourism BC
- Advanced computer fluency including word processing, spread sheets and web development
- Creative and innovative approach, with proven ability to think ‘outside of the box’
- Proven ability to analyse, plan, initiate and complete projects in a timely fashion
- Superlative writing and communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Valid BC driver’s licence
This is a Union position (BCGEU) at the hourly rate of $27.91 plus benefits
Send letter, resume and portfolio samples to (email correspondence preferred) by midnight on Monday, January 31, 2011 to:
Manager, Visitor Experiences
and Public Relations
Barkerville Historic Town
Barkerville, BC V0K 1B0
250-994-3302 ext. 41
888-994-3332 toll free