Seasonal Employment Opportunity – Curatorial Assistant (Archaeology)
Barkerville Historic Town is seeking a seasonal curatorial assistant to lead public educational archaeology programming & archaeological cataloging and monitoring.
Wage: $20.49/hour plus 4%
BCGEU classification: Curatorial 1 (Public Archaeology Program)
- Become familiar with the history and material culture of the local area through readings that will
- During May and June, conduct outdoor educational classes with grade school children.
- Interact with the visiting public, answering questions and providing information.
- From June through September, conduct Archaeological research and interpretation to the public
that will feature an area such as the Chinese Terraced Gardens at Barkerville.
- Construct excavation areas, map excavations and features, create field notes, take photographs,
and write summary reports on the school program and on the excavation work.
- Attend to detail in recording and analysis.
- Work with any construction contractors by recording subsurface features and collection of
artifacts that might arise during the any infrastructure work that might occur at Barkerville.
- Have clear communications with the Curator and other workers at the site.
- Maintain archaeological databases and catalogue backlog of Archaeological materials.
- Carry out other tasks as assigned.
Desired skills and abilities:
- Archaeological degree from a recognized institution.
- Familiarity with Barkerville area and gold rush history.
- Experience with artifact cataloguing and description.
- Must be able to work independently with a commitment to providing quality output.
- A strong ability to organize, problem solve, adhere to timelines, communicate effectively both
orally and in writing, and work as part of a team is essential.
- Level 3 Occupational First Aid a definite asset.
Send resume to:
Mandy Kilsby | Curator
B A R K E R V I L L E H I S T O R I C T O W N
Box 19 | Barkerville, BC | V0K 1B0
250-994-3302 ext. 35 | 888-994-3332 toll free | 250-994-3435 fax
barkerville.ca | barkervilleblog.com | facebook.com/barkervillebc