Career Opportunity – Plumbing, Fire Systems & Fire Safety Officer
EXTERNAL POSTING (Revised June 9, 2015)
The Barkerville Heritage Trust is seeking one Full-time Plumbing, Fire Systems & Fire Safety Officer to perform maintenance and repairs to: water and sewer infrastructure; plumbing for buildings, hydrants, sprinkler systems; and includes inspection and testing of fire systems and equipment, fire safety, emergency preparedness, general labour duties and machine work at Barkerville as assigned by the Manager of Operations, Heritage Projects &Trades.
Hours: 7:00 am to 4:15 pm, 4 days per week (35 hrs/wk) at $35.75 per hour plus benefits as dispersed according to the Collective Agreement between the BC Government & Service Employees Union & Barkerville Heritage Trust.
Work Location: 14326 Hwy. 26 East, Barkerville Historic Town
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities: Requirements needed to perform the job
- Grade 12 or equivalent
- Red Seal Journeyman Plumber with a minimum of five years’ experience as a journeyman and lead hand or supervisor
- Other certifications: Class B Gas ticket (Electrical endorsement an asset)
- Demonstrated knowledge of fire suppression systems
- Sprinkler fitter experience (the ability to get certification within one year of hire date would be an asset)
- Small Water System & Small Wastewater System Operator training will be provided by BHT
- Welding ticket an asset
- Ability to estimate project costs
- Ability to read and understand basic electrical and mechanical drawings
- Ability to follow all Occupational Health & Safety regulations, laws, and Barkerville Heritage Trust policies and procedures.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class 5 driver’s license.
- Good presentation, training and communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills, reliable, punctual, organized, demonstrates initiative, self-motivation, planning and organizational skills, effective communicator and experienced supervisor
- In good physical condition and able to work independently.
- Ability to meet performance expectations as described in the Performance Expectations Letter.
Barkerville Heritage Trust shall provide the Plumbing, Fire Systems & Fire Safety Officer with all the tools, equipment and training necessary to fulfil any work tasks that are requested to be performed.
For more complete information see the job description and performance expectations found on our website at www.barkerville.ca/employment/ or if you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Lynn, Mon-Thurs, at 250-994-3332 ext 36 or toll free at 1-888-994-3332 ext 36. If you leave a message I will return your call promptly.
Hiring criteria shall include professional qualifications and certifications, professional experience, and personal attributes so far as they are applicable to the job classification in question.
Application Instructions: Interested applicants should email their cover letter and resume in Word or PDF, to Lynn Berlin, Manager of Operations, Heritage Projects & Trades at email@example.com. Please include names, addresses and phone numbers of three work references and a scanned copy of your trades qualifications and certifications. (Please note if discretion is required prior to us contacting a reference.) You will receive a reply email to acknowledge receipt of your application.
SCREENING: This position will be posted until filled. Screening of applications will begin immediately.
START DATE: As soon as possible.
We would like to thank all candidates in advance for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.