150 years of gold rush entertainment to be celebrated at Barkerville’s Theatre Royal Gala
- On Saturday, June 27, Newman & Wright Theatre Company officially premieres its 2015 summer season as part of the Barkerville Heritage Trust Annual General Meeting and Theatre Royal Gala
- The BHT AGM takes place at 11:00 am, followed by a behind-the-scenes site tour at noon, and the grand opening of a wheelchair accessible trail at 2:00 pm
- Theatre Royal Gala tickets include
- two-day admission to Barkerville
- a 4:00 pm presentation of Newman & Wright’s live 1940s musical “radio show” WCFB: On Air
- a lively and lighthearted benefit auction at 7:00 pm, immediately followed by The McGuinley Family Troupe Musical Revue, an 1860s musical variety show
- refreshments, snacks and live music at the House Hotel from 9:00 pm until midnight
- For more information or to reserve tickets please phone 250-994-3225
The Cariboo Amateur Dramatic Association’s first public performance took place 150 years ago this week (June 23, 1865) in a saloon in Barkerville. The original Theatre Royal building was constructed several years later, after the great Barkerville fire, as an architectural collaboration between the CADA and the Williams Creek Fire Brigade.
In celebration of the CADA’s inaugural theatricals, Newman & Wright Theatre Company will official premiere its 2015 Theatre Royal summer season on Saturday, June 27, as part of the Barkerville Heritage Trust Annual General Meeting and Theatre Royal Gala.
Tickets to Saturday’s Gala include admission to Barkerville Historic Town, a seat at the 4:00 pm presentation of Newman & Wright’s live 1940s musical “radio show” WCFB: On Air, a lively and lighthearted benefit auction at 7:00 pm followed by The McGuinley Family Troupe Musical Revue (an 1860s musical variety hour) and VIP entrance to the House Hotel for refreshments, snacks, and live music from 9:00 pm until midnight.
“Since 1865 Barkerville has provided unique entertainment opportunities for travelers along the Gold Rush Trail,” said Ed Coleman, CEO of Barkerville Historic Town and Cottonwood House Historic Site. “We are proud to have Newman & Wright Theatre Company continue the Cariboo Amateurs’ original legacy 150 years later.”
Continuing Barkerville’s 2015 Season of Sesquicentennials theme, the Barkerville Heritage Trust Annual General Meeting and Theatre Royal Gala will also recognize the 150th anniversary of the completion of the Cariboo Waggon Road to Barkerville with the grand opening of a wheelchair accessible portion of the road between Barkerville and Cameronton at 2:00 pm, and 150th anniversary copies of the Cariboo Sentinel Newspaper’s first edition will be available throughout the day for a small donation.