Barkerville and Cottonwood House are historic sites in good hands thanks to new wildfire & structural protection plans
- Today, Barkerville Historic Town & Park and Cottonwood House Historic Site CEO Ed Coleman met with Pete Laing, Incident Commander for the Quesnel East Wildfire Incident Command Centre, to complete “on the ground” planning and reviews of the recently completed Community Wildfire Protection Plan for Barkerville Historic Town & Park, and the Barkerville Structural Protection Plan.
- Ed and Pete discussed the rapid response times in-place to react to any new potential wildfires, and reviewed the active fires in the Quesnel East area.
- Barkerville and Cottonwood House are under the protection of the BC Wildfire Incident Command Centre, located at the Quesnel Airport, where extensive resources are in-place.
- Barkerville Historic Town & Park and Cottonwood House Historic Site remain fully operational, and have been since the Cariboo wildfires first started.
- Starting Monday, July 24 and until further notice, Barkerville and Cottonwood House will offer “pay what you can” admission and camping to all site guests, to show appreciation for the scores of first responders and tireless volunteers working around the clock to ensure the region’s collective safety.
- This is in addition to a similar offer that has been in place for evacuees and volunteers since the state of emergency was first declared two weeks ago.
“I want to personally thank everyone who has gone out of their way to help protect Barkerville and Cottonwood House, two priceless provincial heritage resources, from any immediate or future wildfire activity, as well as the staff, volunteers and contractors working daily to ensure the successful operation of our sites during this unprecendented time.” Ed Coleman, CEO | Barkerville Historic Town & Park
Ed Coleman | Chief Executive Officer
B A R K E R V I L L E H I S T O R I C T O W N & P A R K
Box 19 | Barkerville, BC | V0K 1B0 | 14301 Highway 26 East
1-888-994-3332, ext. 23 phone | 250-991-9034 cell | 250-994-3435 fax
barkerville.ca | email@example.com | facebook.com/barkervillebc