Employment Opportunity: Protection Officer Level 2
Classification: Security/Labourer 2
Job title: Protection Officer Level 2
Positions: Part-time Regular Year-Round (Minimum 26.25 hours per week, plus benefits)
Part-time Regular Year-Round (Minimum 8.75 hours per week)
Closing Date: April 18, 2018
• BC Government Employees Union (BCGEU);
• Salary grade: $24.39 plus benefits as dispersed according to the Collective Agreement between the BCGEU and The Barkerville Heritage Trust.
Orientation and Supervision (how the position fits into the company structure):
• Position reports to the Protection Officer Lead and Manager of Protection and Powered Services;
• Performs all operational duties based upon industry standards and guided by the Standards and Guidelines for the Conservation of Historic Places in Canada and the BC Heritage Conservation Act to ensure the continued protection and conservation of Barkerville Historic Town & Park;
• Performs all operational duties based upon Security Licensing Code of Conduct.
• Works as a team member with all Barkerville Heritage Trust site staff and contractors involved with operational activities.
Main tasks and responsibilities (core duties of the position, including but limited to):
• Secures premises and personnel by patrolling town and park; monitoring surveillance system; inspecting buildings, equipment, and access points; permitting entry;
• Watches for and responds appropriately to intruders, disturbances, fire and safety hazards, water breaks, flooding, freezing, drainage, building and ground movement, snow, power failures, vandalism, theft, and other threats to public safety and the assets of the Trust;
• Occasional basic operation of shop machinery such as tables saws, drill presses and power hand tools;
• Responds to, shuts down, troubleshoots and resets fire protection and alarm systems;
• Performs monthly fire alarm testing and practicing, and maintains test and practice logs;
• Identifies, repairs, and prevents or reports conditions that could present a safety hazard;
• Participates in fire prevention and suppression training;
• Winter maintenance/snow clearing including boardwalks, ramps, stairs, building entrances, roofs, site, parking lots and campgrounds;
• Operates equipment such as the skid steer, backhoe, and snow blower in all conditions;
• Works in a healthy and safe manner and follows all BHT Health and Safety Guidelines,
• Maintains equipment by performing proper greasing, cleaning and minor repairs and service;
• Sets traps to kill or remove pests and vermin that infest buildings and surrounding areas; Inspect premises to identify infestation source and extent of damage to property;
• Assists visitors and/or staff with minor vehicle issues such as battery boosting and vehicle break-in;
• Administers first aid according to circumstances, training and ability;
• Performs all operational duties based upon Security Licencing Code of Conduct;
• Performs flexible and varying duties depending on the shifting needs of the organization and its staff members.
The position requires that the following laws, regulations, policies and procedures be adhered to:
• The Workers Compensation Board regulations;
• The Barkerville Heritage Trust Safety Management and Accident Prevention Program;
• The Barkerville Heritage Trust’s policies and procedures;
• The Job Performance Expectations of the position;
• Performs all operational duties based upon industry standards and guided by the occupational health and safety regulations.
Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities (requirements needed to perform the job):
• Grade 12 Graduation;
• Ability to work under own initiative with minimal supervision, or as a member of a team;
• Ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral form;
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions;
• Good public relations skills;
• Hold and maintain a valid Class 5 British Columbia driver’s license (air breaks an asset);
• Valid Security License;
• Criminal record check approval;
• Experience in the proficient operation of the following equipment (including but not limited to): backhoe, skid steer, snow blower, side by side or ATV, snowmobile;
• Fall Protection (provided by employer);
• Level 1 First Aid and transportation endorsement (provided by employer);
• Basic carpentry skills;
• WHIMIS certificate; (provided by employer);
• S100, S185 (provided by employer).
Working conditions (physical environment of the job, including on and off site):
• May be required to wear an approved uniform or appropriate period costume in the performance of duties;
• Medium to high physical effort in an ever changing environment during inclement weather (excessive heat and cold, rain and snow, high winds);
• High mental attention and concentration required in outside environment;
• Work will require lifting and carrying;
• Must be available and committed to work with very short notice at all times of the day and night;
• Will be required to perform manual labour duties and to perform the physical job requirements.
For more information contact Todd Dunphy, Manager of Protection and Powered Services, Barkerville Historic Town & Park at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1.888.994.3332 local 38.
Apply by email or in person to Todd Dunphy