Employment Opportunity: Curatorial Assistant
Governed by: Barkerville Heritage Trust
14301 Highway 26 East
Box 19, Barkerville, BC VOK 1BO | http://www.barkerville.ca
Job Posting: Curatorial Assistant
Classification: Special Employment Programs
Job title: Curatorial Assistant
Position: Internship, September 10, 2018 to March 16, 2019 (26 Weeks)
Closing Date: July 23, 2018
• BC Government Employees Union (BCGEU)
• Salary Grade: $21.43 plus benefits as dispersed according to the Collective Agreement
between the BCGEU and the Barkerville Heritage Trust
Orientation and Supervision: (how the position fits into the company structure)
• Position reports to the Curator
• Position receives general direction from Curatorial Assistant(s)
• Performs all operational duties based upon industry standards and guided by the Standards
and Guidelines for the Conservation of Historic Places in Canada and the BC Heritage
Conservation Act to ensure the continued conservation of collections.
• When the incumbent has doubts about procedural methods, (s)he is expected to seek out
advice on proper treatment of artifacts and review written documentation available in the
Library/Archives and/or senior Curatorial staff prior to proceeding
• Performs all duties with a heritage conservation focus to ensure the continued protection
and conservation of Barkerville Heritage Town
• Works as a team member with all Barkerville Heritage Trust site staff and contractors.
Main tasks or responsibilities (core duties of the position, including but not limited to):
• The successful candidate will embark on a project to assess, organize, arrange and describe
the backlog of Barkerville’s unprocessed Archival collection.
• Work in a healthy and safe manner and follow all BHT health and safety guidelines
• Assists, as required, in special events
• Performs flexible and varying duties depending on the shifting needs of the organization
and its staff members
The Position requires that the following laws, regulations, policies and procedures be adhered to:
• The Workers Compensation Board regulations;
• The Barkerville Heritage Trust Safety Management and Accident Prevention Program;
• The Barkerville Heritage Trust’s policies and procedures;
• Adherence to the Job Performance Expectations of the position;
• Barkerville’s Personal Presentation Standards
• Performs all operational duties based up on industry standards and guided by the
occupation health and safety regulations
Qualifications, Skill and Abilities (Requirements needed to perform the job):
• Applicants must be recent post-secondary graduates who have graduated from a university
or college within the past 24 months. All applicants must be between the ages of 16 and 30
and legally entitled to work in Canada. Applicants must be available for the full duration of
the position and be registered on the Young Canada Works online candidate inventory
• Ability to work under own initiative with minimal supervision or as a member of a team;
• Ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral form;
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions;
• Basic understanding of the Rules for Archival Description (provided);
• Training in the handling, care and maintenance of artifacts and exhibits according to
approved museum techniques (provided);
• Preference will be given to a graduate in the field of Archival Studies, Museum Studies,
Cultural Heritage Management, Conservation, History, or Archaeology.
Working conditions (physical environment of the job, including on and off site):
• Work will require lifting and carrying
• Seven-hour shifts, five days a week, for a total of 35 hours per week.
For more information contact Mandy Kilsby, Curator, Barkerville Historic Town & Park at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1.888.994.3332, ext. 35.
Apply by email or in person to Mandy Kilsby at email@example.com.